[lbo-talk] Judith Miller gossip

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 1 15:48:48 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [As I remember these Spy columns, they reported that Miller was
> nicknamed "EC" -for "egregious cunt" - by her colleagues, who also said
> she took her notes on bedsheets. There's a lot of more substantial stuff
> in the piece too.]
>
> <http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/media/features/9226/index3.html>

This article has lots of interesting stuff, but in its attempt to explain everything that went wrong in terms of venal ambition, it goes out of its way to ignore Miller's ideological hard edge. For example, it never mentions that the co-author of Miller's Saddam book is Laurie Mylroie. Mylroie is the Claire Sterling of the 90s -- she's on beyond neo-con. She claims to have proven not only that Saddam caused 9/11, she thinks she's proven that he caused the 1993 WTC bombing as well. Her fantasies make Richard Perle look cautious.

If these co-authors largely share worldviews, this would seem to provide a simpler and more concise explanation for Miller's assiduous credulousness.

Michael