[lbo-talk] Charity for Occupation

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 2 09:05:54 PDT 2004

It looks like a new charity that supports the occupation is up and running. I found out about this on Cooper's blog, which urged everyone on the left to step up and put our money where our mouths were or 'shut up'. Well, I found this 'private sector' 'charity' closely working with the Marines in 'humanitarian' projects they have apparently underfunded (!). It's called 'spirit of america' http://www.spiritofamerica.net . Anyone out there know of similar charity projects during Vietnam? One of the projects advertised on this site was this beaut: http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3F315578

According to Lt. Col. John Lutkenhouse, the division's plans officer for economic development, the Los Angeles-based charity donated more than $80,000 in audio and video production equipment.

"Right now, the Iraqis are receiving a lot of their information via electronic media outlets," explained Lutkenhouse, of Sunnyvale, Calif. "The principal message they're hearing is from people who don't want us to succeed, like the Al-Jazeera network. If we don't have something to balance out those messages, the people will be inclined to believe the false information."

The gear is already earmarked for delivery to seven news stations in the Al Anbar province within the next few weeks.

Spirit of America sent cameras, editing software and computers, monitors and cables to the Marines to distribute.

"We want to push out the division's 'no better friend' message to the people," added Maj. Holden Dunham, media operations officer. "We're up against Arab perception at the moment. Our goal is to get the truth out there, and the Iraqis can form their own opinions." The hardware is intended allow credible media to operate without censorship or undue influence. Once the Iraqi Media Network receives the gear, Coalition Forces will not have a say as to what can and cannot be covered. Still, there will be stipulations.

"This will not be a Coalition-controlled media outlet," Lutkenhouse said. "But they will be required to not put out anti-Coalition propaganda."

--I told Cooper I gave money to Nation Correspondent Dahr Jamail's independent reporting project and to Christian Peacemakers' work with Iraqi detainees instead.

steve