[lbo-talk] The Return of the Draft

Thomas Wheeler letcab at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 15:12:10 PDT 2004

From: "Chuck0" chuck at mutualaid.org
> Well said, Doug. The draft is just not going to come back,
mainly for
> the reasons you've articulated. President Kerry won't revive
the draft,
> but he'll scale back military deployment so it can get back to
a force
> that can support more effective covert wars.

Actually, Kerry wants to expand the military for "new missions" and increase the number of troops. And while we don't call it a "draft", the stop-loss orders that prevent soldiers from leaving or retiring from the military certainly feels like a "draft" to some of those directly affected by it. - Tom

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=71000001&refer=us&sid=apQHTegvEtDo Kerry Calls for More Troops to Bolster U.S. Military

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry called for increasing the U.S. military by 40,000 troops, probably for a decade, in order ``to match its new missions'' in the war on terror and homeland security.

[...]

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5323674 Army Issues Order to Stop U.S. Soldiers from Leaving

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army has issued an order preventing thousands of soldiers designated for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan from leaving the military even when their volunteer service commitment expires, officials said on Wednesday.

The move to extend the service of some soldiers involuntarily was the latest sign of increasing stress on the Army as the Pentagon strives to maintain adequate troop levels in the two conflicts.

Lt. Gen. Franklin Hagenbeck, the Army's personnel chief, denied that the move was a sign of desperation for the Army, although he did acknowledge that the Army was "stretched."

The Army issued so-called "stop loss" and "stop movement" orders for soldiers in all units that will deploy outside the United States to take part in future missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Army has previously issued such orders covering some troops in the two conflicts, but not as broadly as the latest move. Since the attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, some 45,000 soldiers have been affected by similar orders, Hagenbeck said.

[...]