[lbo-talk] WSJ: "renaissance for the left"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 3 13:03:35 PDT 2004

Todd Archer wrote:

>I'm not sure how "The Right" (through the WSJ) is seeing all this ie
>I don't understand the significance of the article. Is it that they
>see the Dems as far left as communists, say, or is it just that
>they're magnifying the potential threat of "the left" to them way
>out of proportion (out of fear??)? Or even simply any "threat", no
>matter how insignificant, from anything left of the Repugs is
>automatically seen as something to put down (to show who's boss)?

The news pages of the WSJ are neither reactionary nor stupid; in many ways, it's the best paper in the U.S. That aside, the American left as we'd understand it is so far off the visible spectrum that to anyone in the mainstream, someone with an ADA rating of 50 or 70 is practically a Bolshevik.

Doug