[lbo-talk] further meltdown?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 12:56:17 PDT 2004

At 03:40 PM 6/4/2004, Michael Pollak wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Doug Thompson's _Capitol Hill Blue_ was quoted as
>saying
>
> > Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides
> > By DOUG THOMPSON
> > Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
> > Jun 4, 2004, 06:15
>
>So how reliable is Thompson and Capitol Hill Blue? What's their
>background?
>
>Michael

:) Did you go to the web site? Here's stuff from the FAQ--it's a riot:

I was suckered in by the fact Liza sent it and there's an outfit with a similar name. went to the site to get the link in order to forward it to another list where links are expected and got a chuckle out of the FAQ:

Who, or what, is Capitol Hill Blue? Musings, brain drain and rantings started by a grouchy old ex-newspaperman named Doug Thompson in October 1994. Thompson left us to pursue other things but some guy named McTavish walked in one day and took over so Blue lives on. That makes us the oldest surviving news site on the Internet. But dont' take our word for it. Go to <http://www.google.com>Google and see if you can find anything older. Bet ya can't.

Sometimes we are joined, more or less, by a ragtag cast of current and ex-newspaper men and women who wander in and out of here like homeless children. Some still work for news organizations and use Capitol Hill Blue as an outlet for the stories their outfits don't have the guts to publish. Others are retired, but can't give up the Muse.

Nobody here draws a salary. We couldn't afford to pay salaries anyway. All money, if we ever get around to making any, will go back into the product. Or maybe we'll send out for pizza. But it couldn't be any bigger than a medium.

So, who's in charge? Damn good question. We've been wondering that for a long time. Somebody must be in charge around here. We're sure of it. Well, we think we're sure of it. On second thought, does this place look like we have somebody in charge?

You can reach our editors at <mailto:info at capitolhillblue.com>info at capitolhillblue.com. It might work, but don't expect them to accept responsibility for anything.

How often do you publish? Publish? This is the Internet, bub. Publish is for wimps who still insist on using processed wood pulp as their publishing medium. Capitol Hill Blue is produced daily, seven-days-a-week, 365-days a year (well, 366 on Leap Years') and is updated throughout the day. If you want once-a-day news, plunk down 35 cents and buy The Washington Post. It's your money. Waste it any way you want.

So who writes the stories? Whoever can get to a keyboard on a given day. Plus we have stories from various wire services and other sources. Can I write something for Capitol Hill Blue? Good question. Can you? Blue welcomes submissions with the understanding that we may read it, we may just laugh at it, or we may toss it in the bytebox so that it never darkens our hard drive again. If we do use it, we'll pay you what everybody else gets around here: nada. Just send it to <http://www.capitolhillblue.com/mailti:info@capitolhillblue.com>info at capitolhillblue.com and take your chances.

... Don't you take anything seriously? Nah, we leave that to the politicians (and some of our readers). They take everything, including themselves, far too seriously.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/faq.asp