[lbo-talk] Protection of Chinese language urged

suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp
Sat Jun 5 07:40:40 PDT 2004

>> You seem to mistake the side effect (that English speakers all over
>> the world can read Al Jazeera pages) for the main goal (reach the
>> American/British audience).
>
> How do you know that that is their main goal? Have they stated that
> anywhere? With their financial backing, it would be no problem for
> them to put up any number of web sites in various languages, but
> presumably the most efficient way to communicate with the
> non-Arabic-speaking world is to have an English site.

Well. I'd say publishing an English site is the best way to communicate with the English speaking world. And it happens that the English speaking world has been behind anything serious going on in the Middle East for about the last century. From that I infer that they either naïvely deduce that the whole world is English speaking or, more realistically, that by aiming at the English speaking elite they have higher probabilities to reach the people that matter. I'd say that's their main goal: it is for politics, not for the intercultural fun of having Chinese people reading their stuff, that they publish in English.

Would you say that the New York Times is published in English because it wants to reach the World ?

JC Helary