[lbo-talk] Hitchens

dano dano at well.com
Mon Jun 7 20:26:27 PDT 2004

At 12:35 PM -0400 6/7/04, Doug Henwood wrote:
>paul childs wrote:
>
>>My guess too is that it's some lingering English class based
>>resentment about Clinton carrying on with someone 'beneath' his
>>office, or Monica for daring to snog someone 'above' her station.
>
>But Hitch is of middle-class origins, so some of that class-based
>resentment would be of the arriviste variety, an anxiety about
>falling.

Like the religious convert, the newly arrived upper-classer is desperate to prove his worthiness and to accomplish this is bitterly scornful of those of his former class who have not come to his enlightenment.

Ironically, most of the upper classes will still think of him as middle class and snicker at him behind his back