[lbo-talk] lost in translation...not translating?

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 10:17:33 PDT 2004

>a lot of PC types find it immoral to be alienated by a foreign
>setting, even though it's a real feeling that has to be dealt
>with.

i'm no "PC type" and even worked, to my great amusement, for a streaming media company who was going to handle some fuji tv's broadcasts, featuring some of the over-the-top, funhouse-mirror ameri-philia (e.g., a show called "Hey Hey Hey Music Champ!", whose opening credits had a "Western" man in football shoulderpads, charcoal under the eyes and a wireless microphone -- while the hosts bellowed, phonetically, "Yo, whassup!") as seen in lit and japanese media generally. and yet, apart from the bleary-eyed insomnia at flashing lights and japanese mangling of the name "sinatra", precisely where was the alienation? in the fact that they speak a different language from english and the facile comedic gambits drawn therefrom? not exactly what i'd call dealing with real feelings -- and along those lines, this doesn't even address the miserable copout ending. gosh, what did he say to her? how mysterious -- i guess we'll never know...morality has nothing to do with it, doug, although the artistry -- or lack thereof -- that wouldn't have permitted such an easy way out is a little closer.

lost in translation? perhaps...and found in self-regarding stereotyping.

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance