[lbo-talk] lost in translation...not translating?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 13:09:17 PDT 2004

Charles Brown wrote:

Without in the least objecting to Wojtek's consistent criticism of Americans and their culture, I'm just thinking, Americans are not into "deep meanings" that I can tell; and they are more into amorality or immorality plays than morality plays, aren't they ? Action flicks aren't morality plays, are they?

=============================

I suppose it depends upon what a person means by “morality play”.

The excess of violence in action films seems immoral to my taste and, I suspect, to yours as well but suits a basic (and ancient) human belief in the necessity of vengeance.

Consider, as an example, the relatively new Denzel Washington vehicle, ‘Man on Fire”.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ManonFire-1131820/

This is a hate filled film, yet our hero employs his grimly joyful talent for a wee bit of the ultra-violence to punish kidnappers, drug runners and assorted evildoers. So, by the film’s lights, his actions, blood soaked and sadistic though they may be, are, in some “higher” sense moral.

Parallels to the War on Terror’s ideological and operational underpinnings are so obvious no clever comment is needed.

And by the by...

For what it's worth, I loved "Lost in Trans..." too (putting me in the minority?). It felt like a visual record of early 21st century, techno-enabled ennui - a feeling some of us have and others don't. Loving it or loathing it seems to be influenced by generational and perceptual inclinations.

It reminded me of the aura created by the first line from Gibson's "Neuromancer".

"The sky over Chiba city was like a television set, tuned to a dead channel..."

.d.