[lbo-talk] Fw: Greg Palast: Bye-Bye Ronnie Reagan and Hobbit references

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Jun 8 21:01:55 PDT 2004

>Capitalists can be bargained with. Ringwraiths cannot. The Kerry campaign
>is the feint drawing out the oil-orcs from their fastness in Barad-dur.
>Anything to keep $auron's eye from a tiny pair of Eurohobbits...
>
>-- DRR

Are these elf related analogies really understood by the majority of people on this list?. I haven't really read Tolkien and doubt I will take the time to do so but since I know the general tone of this list I can guess than Ringwraiths are, bad oil-orcs are bad, and Barad-dur is a bad place where one or both of the above reside. I do not understand the reference to a pair of Eurohobbits. Is this a reference to two specific countries in Europe? How do they keep away from $auron's eye? What the hell is $auron's eye? A reference to capitalism? The President of the US? I usually just read past the Hobbit stuff but I do get a little curious from time to time.

John Thornton