[lbo-talk] grist for the cultural angst mill

Julio Huato juliohuato at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:24:58 PDT 2004

Wojtek wrote:

>Some time ago there was an article in The Nation saying that Kolata is a
>corporate hack that twists scientific research to fit the corporate
>propaganda line and for that reason many researchers refuse to interview
>with her.

I have a little anecdote.

Last Saturday my wife and I went to a seminar on grassroots organizing at the General Theological Seminary in Chelsea (NYC). The seminar was led by people from the AIF. One of the instructors was a leader from the Interfaith Community Organization (ICO) of New Jersey that, for decades, has been pushing for a chromium cleanup in several sites in Jersey City.

In one of the exercises, we simulated a meeting with NJ DEP's commissioner Bradley Campbell. Among other things, our team told Campbell (impersonated by the ICO guy) that the science section of the NY Times was interested in running the story. That was supposed to scare Campbell. :-)

Later the ICO fellow told me that a while ago they had been in touch with the NYT science section for real, but had been assigned a journalist who was clearly uninterested in a story that involved exposing a corporation's dirt (e.g., Honeywell's) and it all ended right there.

Julio

_________________________________________________________________ Visita MSN Latino Entretenimiento: ¡música, cine, chismes y más...! http://latino.msn.com/entretenimiento/