[lbo-talk] grist for the cultural angst mill

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 01:32:34 PDT 2004

Kelley:> He's saying the tendency toward obesity or leanness is shaped bygenetics> (duh). I suppose this helps corporations because that will mean peoplewill> just gorge themselves now instead of spending loads on diet products,> exercise equipments, and gym membership. Yeah, that's contributing tothe> bottom line! If he'd said something like obesity is ALL about eatingand> exercise habits, something completely in control of the obese, thenhis> claims would obviously be resistant to corporate propaganda, hmmmm? Ithink> not. Obviously, if he'd said that his claims would be used to pedal> low-carb --i cannot believe i saw this yesterday--flavored coffee> 'creamer,' low-fat Happy Meals, exercise equipment, and gymmemberships.I am not in a position to question a researcher who specializes inobesity, but the genetics claim comes as a surprise. Undoubtedly,genetic factors influence body mass to an extent, but how would oneexplain the unusually high concentration of overweight people in

the US?After all, US-ers are of European descent so one would expect to findthe European and US populations to be roughly similar in geneticallytransmitted traits. Yet a trip to Europe tells otherwise, even to a casual observer. Notonly there are fewer visibly overweight people in Europe, but those whoare do not reach such extremes as many US specimens. So how can oneexplain the higher concentration of overweight people in the US?Wojtek----

My experience is that most Russians who have never been abroad

have no concept of what obesity is (or what a slum is, for that matter).