[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 04:26:45 PDT 2004

I know Reagan was a master of timing, but his death was so timely from the GOP POV that I wonder if he got a little push. Consider:

1. Reagan's death switches the channel of national attention from the disgrace of Iraq to the golden memories of Ronnie's Morning in America.

2. The television screens are now filled with images of the military as it prefers to be seen -- spit 'n polish, solemn honor guards striking poses at national monuments instead of leering uniformed goons tormenting POWs at Abu Ghraib.

3. The paleo-conservatives and neocons have forgotten their differences and are now joined in a chorus of praise for the Gipper. E.g., check out Justin Raimondo's preposterous current column "The Reagan-Haters": "Amid the near-unanimity of the panegyrics for Ronald Reagan – emanating from both the left and the right – the few dissenters stand out in their utter wrongheadedness."

4. Enhancing the value of Reagan's demise at this particular moment, the nation was already primed for a patriotic sob fest because of the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

In short, QED, somebody pulled the plug on Ronnie.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married