[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 10:10:55 PDT 2004

>From: snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>
>Was it just me, or did everyone else feel like every damned commentator
>went on and on about how great RR was, how he put the u.s. back in the
>saddle again, how it was great to be reminded that the america bashers are
>the problem, blah blah blah, and how Shrub is carrying RR's legacy. Oh! and
>how we couldn't have done what we did recently if it weren't for good ol'
>RR, cause had we had the wimpy ass Democrats in charge, this country would
>be mired in America-hating, commie ass-licking mode and would hav e let
>terrorists walk all over us, like Carter did. Ronnie, he changed all that
>by gum.
>
>strap on the puke pail, indeed. If the media is being encouraged to give
>less support to Shrub, I didn't see it. All I saw was a constant effort,
>supported by the freakin' liberalist of liberal media, to make a constant
>connection between RR and Bush.

Most unsettling of all is this comment from across the Atlantic: Noting that RR and Bush have both similarities and differences, the Economist states that "it is worth remembering that in the 1980s many liberals thought that Mr Reagan was a weird aberration—a long national daydream, to quote the title of a book from the period. Today many liberals think the same about Mr Bush, hoping he will be humiliated in November's election. But whatever happens at that election, these liberals are wrong about the longer-term drift of American politics. Mr Reagan's presidency signalled a profound shift in American life. His revolution realigned domestic politics, and laid the basis of a challenging relationship between America and the rest of the world." <http://economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2747437>

In short, Ron the man may be gone, but his revolution shall endure -- a boot stamping on a human face forever, so to speak.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/