[lbo-talk] Canada (was Fw: Greg Palast: Bye-Bye Ronnie Reagan--Killer, Coward, Conman

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 10 11:14:51 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>

> >snit snat wrote:
> >>
> >> At 09:39 AM 6/9/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see people predisposed to Shrub changing their minds. For them,
> >> four more years of Shrub is way better than four more years of Kerry.
> >
> >In the whole history of humanity, what proportion of the species (or of
> >any geographical sub-unit of the species) has changed its mind within a
> >time span of 10 years?
>
> Me, on being introduced to R. Emmett "Bob" Tyrell: "I used to be a
> right-winger when I was in college, but I'm not anymore."
>
> Tyrell: "I haven't changed in 30 years."

So? One of the leaders of SDS here in 1968 & 1969 voted for Goldwater in 1964. I switched her with a speech I gave at an impromptu forum on the war -- but I didn't direct the speech at Goldwater supporters; I directed it at liberal antii-war people who wanted to pretend that Ho was somehow not a "real" communist. Individual examples are endless, but I asked a question about relative numbers and percentages. Out of 30 million people in category A one can reach a few thousand at best; out of 30 million people in category B one can potentially reach a few million -- under the right (unpredictable) conditions, tens of millions. Those who focus on conservatives (Reaganites, Bushites, etc.) prefer saving two or three damned souls to mobilizing millions.

Carrol