[lbo-talk] Why do people vote against their interests? P.J. O'Rourke explains

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 05:16:46 PDT 2004

But O’Rourke didn’t stop there, no sir. It’s not just the fear of government that motivates; it’s also love of country. Republicans do well because Americans like to feel good about their country. They don’t want to pause while waving the flag on the Fourth of July to commemorate the crimes of slavery or the near genocide of Native Americans, or 19th and early twentieth century aggression against the Philippines or even the very recent victims of Abu Ghraib and other facilities of the American gulag complex. ---

I wish US journalists would remember this before writing their dreary "why won't those damn Russians denounce Stalin like we think they should?" pieces.