[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 05:34:04 PDT 2004

>From: Jacob Conrad <jakub at att.net>
>
>That cynical shitbag Tom Wolfe sometimes comes up with a good one. I've
>always liked his simile comparing the press corps to a "Victorian gent,"
>forever anxious to ensure that the _right tone_ be struck on every
>occasion. I'm sure that the mixture of funerary solemnity, cloying
>sentimentality, and patriotic uplift will persist for a while. The
>quintessence of this glop can be found (where else) in today's NYT. Read
>it if you can stand it:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/10/politics/10teevee.html

Yes, it takes a strong stomach to finish that article. At least vinegary old Bob Dole provides some relief there, i.e.: " When Tom Brokaw of NBC suggested to Bob Dole that Ronald Reagan had been an inspiring flag-bearer for the World War II generation, it was a bit too much for Mr. Dole, who was wounded in Italy. He replied dryly that Mr. Reagan, who spent the war making Army training films in Hollywood, had never heard a shot fired. 'But he was a captain,' Mr. Dole said. 'And mighty proud of it.'"

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married