[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 06:11:45 PDT 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>For the whole eight long -- looooooong -- years of his reign, I was
>constantly mystified by the adulation showered on that sucker by (it
>seemed) nearly the entire country. It was as though he had cast a spell
>(something out of Lord of the Rings?) on everyone. Even those who disagreed
>with him politically praised him to the skies as "the Master Communicator"
>and good old buddy of all creatures great and small, whereas I could only
>regard him as an old fart with an absolutely hideous politics and a really
>perverse mean streak towards "welfare Cadillac queens" and such.
>
>A good deal of that mystical spell was recycled, of course, this last week,
>and it may rub off to some extent on Shrub, though I think the Ronnie
>adulators will probably contrast el W very unfavorably, as a feel-good
>prexy, with his predecessor.

I agree. Reagan's popular appeal remains the greatest mystery of my life. Foolishly, I thought that appeal had burned itself out and have been stunned by the ferocity of veneration shown the bastard over the past week. Since WWII references are all the rage, I can compare the current Gipper-driven pomp, circumstance and media frenzy only to the Battle of the Bulge -- a blistering counteroffensive by an enemy supposedly on the run. With Iraq as an ever growing catastrophe, I assumed that the GOP, like the Wehrmacht, was facing a steady terminal decline. But Michael Deaver, like Field Marshall von Rundstedt, apparently still had a few tricks up his sleeve. We'll see if GWB can build on this.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/