[lbo-talk] Re: New Liberal Cause: Bring Back Nuclear Power!

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 07:17:27 PDT 2004

this is an enormously disheartening trend on the left, and a standard false delimitation of an argument between two dubious alternatives -- "coal-power plants cause acid rain, so our ONLY other choice is to go nuke, just like the french". does it bother anyone else, regardless of your opinion on the issue, that perhaps the most enduring legacy of western democracies, the one they'll still notice 10,000 years from now, will be nuclear waste?

although it amounts to a "reward the polluters" sensibility, i always thought the left could take from the right-wing in smart ways, like tax credits for implementing the kyoto protocols. it seems like we could have demogougery and no action on polluting industries, or the government sucking it up, literally, simultaneously mandating and paying for limited emissions. compared to military-industrial outlay, this is a use of my tax dollars i'd gladly support.

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance