[lbo-talk] Re: John Yoo article

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Fri Jun 11 08:51:41 PDT 2004

Here one risks belaboring the obvious but... In the absence of any international courts to provide rulings and given the amorality in certain legal circles this kind of nonsense was inevitable.

Yoo's states that the Geneva conventions only apply under a set of very narrow circumstances: war between signatory recognized states, wearing uniforms, following the "rules of war". This is a flat out lie, easily shown by almost a century of legal findings *by the US government*. Did NLF wear uniforms in Vietnam? (was even N. Vietnam a recognized state?) Did the Nazis follow the "rules of war"? Why did we insist the Soviets were obliged by the Geneva Conventions when THEY fought the Taliban's precursor? The list goes on and on.

Perhaps it is just best to remind ordinary Americans of one litmus test. In Hollywood's WWII films it was always the Nazis who said the Geneva Conventions didn't apply; the good guys always stuck up for them. Maybe that should be the point of nostalgia after D-Day and before we get to the commemorations next May of the end of WWII.

Paul