[lbo-talk] The National Cathedral?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Jun 11 11:52:25 PDT 2004

On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 12:15 PM, B. wrote:

> What's the story on the National Cathedral? Is it a
> state funded/sponsored church? Blatant slap in the
> face to the idea of a wall between church and state?
> Many other institutions like this?

On its web site (http://www.cathedral.org/cathedral/):

"We rely entirely on private support. The Cathedral receives no government or national church funding."

It was built by Henry Yates Satterlee, Episcopal Bishop of Washington, around 1880.

"Satterlee, like those before him, was a strict believer in the separation of Church and State. Hence, in raising funds to build the cathedral, he only sought and accepted money from private citizens. He wanted no money from the government nor its' involvement." (http://phoenix.liunet.edu/~jdimarco/bpomes/sacred.html -- misspelling of "its" in the original)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)