[lbo-talk] The Liberal Flight To 'Intention'

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Mon Jun 14 12:40:02 PDT 2004

My sample size is < 10, but there are people on the right who go for this "metaphysical" guff, too. Exactly how being all touchy-feely is supposed to square with vicious social policy I couldn't tell you, but I think there's a strain in newage (rhymes with "sewage") ideology that equates personal financial success with psychological/spiritual development.

Aside: just as metaphysics is also a genuine philosophical term, so is intentionality. John Searle of UC Berkeley wrote a work with that word as its title, and it has helped me get to sleep many a night.

pre-emptive apologies to any Searle fans on the list, Curtiss