[lbo-talk] Biblical Literalism

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 08:11:26 PDT 2004

Eugene Volokh posts a table from a poll showing that about 60 percent of Americans say they believe Biblical stories like the 7-day creation, Noah's flood and Moses' parting of the Red Sea to be literally true. This is rather higher than other estimates I've seen of Biblical Literalism. Based on GSS data (the GSS is the best available public opinion survey in the U.S. with a long time-series), we know that in 1998 about 30 percent of Americans agreed with the statement "The Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word". This was down from about 40 percent in 1988. (Most of the decline seems to have happened in the late 1980s, however.) About half of Americans agree that "The Bible is the inspired word of God but not everything in it should be taken literally, word for word." And a steady 15 to 17 percent agree that it's "an ancient book of fables, legends, history, and moral precepts recorded by men." Here's a graph, I put together of these trends, in pdf format.

http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/002026.html http://www.kieranhealy.org/files/misc/BT-plot.pdf