[lbo-talk] Biblical Literalism

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 09:45:48 PDT 2004

>and they have never ever had to grapple with the bible itself, and some of the truly
>profound questions addressed in it, precisely because of the role of
>tradition and indoctrination in their previous bible instruction (not
>to say bible "reading")

That's an interesting, and somewhat depressing finding, in that one of the bases for the Protestant reformation was that Protestant churches, unlike the Catholic church, felt that one could have a direct experience of god without the intermediary role of the church and a church hierarchy. So they encouraged the printing, dissemination and reading of the bible, while the Catholics sought to keep people illiterate, would only allow the catechism of the church and its interpretation of the bible to be taught, and actively discouraged reading the bible by the laity.

Not that the Protestants were all that open, they burned enough people and books at the stake to make that point, they didn't burn you for just reading the bible. But interpreting it wrong still got you on the wrong end of the bonfire.

My point is that modern American Protestants seem to have taken up the banner of biblical illiteracy voluntarily and with gusto, rather than having ignorance imposed on them as Catholics have. This is why the Vatican still maintains a list of banned books and the mass was in Latin until the 20th century.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon