[lbo-talk] Biblical Literalism

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jun 15 14:03:00 PDT 2004

cberlet at igc.org wrote:

> More Christians are getting their "theology" from pop sources such as TV televangelism
of the Left Behind apocalyptic book series, or the book The DaVinci Code (the author of the latter had a prior book about the Illuminati conspiracy).

They are getting their theology from the book The DaVinci Code?

Chip, you are just wrong on this one. The Southern Baptists and others of their ilk are up in arms about this book. I've been studying this phenomenon, because it looks like this book has turned into an anti-evangelical tome. I got a whiff of this from several sources. One was a wire article about religious opposition to this book. Another was a flyer a sister brough home from one of those mega-churches, this one being one where MC Hammer makes occasional visits. I looked at the church listings in the paper to see which churches were doing counter-DaVinci Code programming. Many of the local Southern Baptist churches were advertising programs contra The Da Vinci Code.

Chuck0