[lbo-talk] Biblical Literalism

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 15 14:15:44 PDT 2004

>They are getting their theology from the book The DaVinci Code?
>Chip, you are just wrong on this one. The Southern Baptists and others
>of their ilk are up in arms about this book..........
>I looked at the church listings in the paper to see which churches were doing
>counter-DaVinci Code programming. Many of the local Southern Baptist
>churches were advertising programs contra The Da Vinci Code.

This is actually hilarious to watch, I mean, have you read the book?

I whipped through it a weekend or two back, it's yer basic speed based thriller (all the action takes place over about 24 hours, no one sleeps, er, alone or with anyone else, sigh) with 3-4 page long chapters that keep up the pace by sacrificing, plausibility, character development, plot coherence and building on a melange of gnostic Christianity light and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The fact that any organized religion feels threatened by this gobbler shows the weakness of the foundations they're built on. Intellectually this debate is akin to watching a 6 year old attacking a house of giant sized cards with an oversized whiffle bat.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon