[lbo-talk] Re: Bush & his God

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jun 16 11:47:21 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I dunno about Mencken's philiosophy of religion, but God do we need
> someone of his talents at making fun of it. We got a born agin'er in
> the WH and there's just not enough ruthless satire about it.

Sure, ruthless satire is great -- nothing is sacred. (A famous saying of Bodhidharma, the legendary founder of the Zen tradition, by the way.) But there is also a place for clear thinking about religion, as there is about any other subject.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.