[lbo-talk] V Crisis Attacks Greg Wilpert, Etc.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 16 12:05:18 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:

>I don't your point here. Is what's potentially actionable that the
>names listed aren't really on the disclosure forms? That they are on
>the disclosure forms but it's indecent to circulate the info?

Looking at the front page of V Crisis, what do you see in Boyd's first article on the topic?

The 'impartial' advocates of Venezuela'$ Hugo Chavez By Aleksander Boyd

London 14 Jun. 04 - The file is here folks, just arrived. With great anticipation I cracked the envelope open to read the material sent by the Foreign Agents Registration Unit and the findings, oh the bliss!! Todd Tucker, Marc Weisbrot, Greg Wilpert, Eva Golinger, Deborah James, Bill Fletcher, Kim Bartley they are all in there. My long and deeply held apprehension has just been confirmed for the aforementioned 'impartial' observers and experts are nothing but propaganda mouths of the Bolivarian Revolution. So let me start with the basics. >>

The most reasonable inference that the reader makes, based on the title and what's on the front page, is that Boyd is charging "Todd Tucker, Marc Weisbrot, Greg Wilpert, Eva Golinger, Deborah James, Bill Fletcher, Kim Bartley" with either being foreign agents themselves or in the pay of foreign agents. That's a defamatory and libelous insinuation.

If the reader clicked on the link and read the full article (and the others in the series), the reader would discover that the only thing that Boyd actually has is that the Venezuela Information Office contacted the aforementioned activist-intellectuals, along with other major Latin American analysts and correspondents who work for the corporate media.

I don't think that anyone aside from Michael Pugliese here takes the Boyd character seriously, but the LBO-talk archive, too, is open to the public and gets picked up by Google and other search engines -- therefore, I've put in my two cents, so anyone who chances upon Boyd's insinuation through LBO-talk won't think that all LBO-talk subscribers let the libelous and defamatory statements go without being challenged. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>