[lbo-talk] Re: What's the Matter With Kansas

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 18 10:05:43 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Chuck0 writes:

> Lacny is set on his idea that racism is the main motivation
underlying the attitudes of conservatives, when reality just doesn't support this assumption.

If racism is no longer one of the main motivations it is only because the right believes it has won the day (which in essence it has). Racism is now no longer something to be argued over: it is bedrock reality for the right and much of the left. The newer motivations of the right are built upon this racist foundation, e.g., the campaign for Christian dominance is predicated on discrediting Blacks and their version of Christian activism. In this way there is only one version of Christianity -- the one promoted by whites.

> Sure, if you provoke conservatives with the right rhetoric,
some of them will respond with racist attitudes.

But most will not since they realize that the left is no longer willing to give the struggle for racial equality a central place. Hence the right can cow activists with accusations of playing the race card and get away with it.

Having won the battle on race, the right now feels empowered to wage battles for religion and against workers. The left, meanwhile, must not only respond to these new assaults, but also find the wherewithal to continue the struggle on race. Unfortunately, part of the left has no desire to revisit the issue of race, despite the fact that it could re-energize the base and involve many more people in the struggle on our side.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister