[lbo-talk] What's the Matter With Kansas

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jun 18 10:52:21 PDT 2004

John Lacny wrote: Lacny spews:

> This is an interesting take, and I think Brian
> has said in another way what I've been
> trying to say, which is that racism is the
> background assumption and all-important
> lynchpin of the "backlash." I argue it will
> be the most pernicious evil to extirpate
> IDEOLOGICALLY because it has the deepest
> MATERIAL roots among millions of "rank-
> and-file" whites. Once again, think of how
> many of the debates around housing and
> access to higher education (not to mention
> primary education!) are structured by
> white assumptions of entitlement.

Whatever you say, Proyect Jr.

Your newfound tendency to SHOUT IN CAPS merely confirms that you are pushing ideological conclusions, which means that you've closed your ears to new ideas on this topic.

Anyway, one conclusion I reached after listening to Frank is that one strategy that we should continue to pursue is an ongoing anti-capitalist campaign against the ruling class. If you want to co-opt the latent populism among Americans, it makes sense to build solidarity with them with class war rhetoric. Simply dismissing conservative and Reublican Americans as "stupid" or "racist" is going to do nothing to undermine their allegiance to the rich Republicans who work for the ruling class.

Chuck0 http://chuck.mahost.org/ http://www.infoshop.org