[lbo-talk] Re: Is Berlet Combat Ready?

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Jun 18 14:16:23 PDT 2004

Joseph,

I am not to blame for the pathetic U.S. government response on 9/11.

We all should demand accountability from the Bush administration for their malfeasance, misfeasance, and nonfeasance before, during, and after 9/11.

There should have been more than 20 "ready alert" scramble aircraft in the U.S. on 9/11.

There should have been "ready alert" scramble aircraft at Andrews on 9/11.

Bush should have been expecting the use of aircraft as a missile since this had been suggested in print before 9/11.

Bush should have been expecting an attack from al Qaeda before 9/11.

None of this demonstrates complicity by the Bush administration in the attacks on 9/11.

None of this is an excuse for the mountain of easily-refuted garbage dumped on the Internet by conspiracists.

I have repeatedy supported a full investigation. See below.

Most of what you said about me and my arguments in your post below is easily-refuted simply by searching the Internet. You have an obligation to get the basic facts straight if you challenge me to a debate. Logic, fairness, and fact-checking. That's what I am asking for.

The suggestion by you that I am somehow complicit in the 9/11 attacks is an outrageous personal attack. How would you like it if I suggested that so-called researchers who consistently post ludicrous assertions and easily-refuted conspiracist claims on the Internet about Bush administration complicity in the 9/11 attacks could possibly be dupes of the CIA in a secret plot to divert attention from the serious and easily-proven charges of Bush malfeasance?

If you are not willing or able to use logic and fact-checking when blasting me in a public forum, then you need to consider why, and what purpose is served by the repeated attacks and falsehoods you are posting. At the very least, you have to stop the nasty personal attacks.

Chip Berlet

=========

>From the PRA website:

People with unfair power and privilege generally try to hold onto that unfair power and privilege. Sometimes they make plans that are not publicly announced. Sometimes they engage in illegal plots. Real conspiracies have been exposed throughout history. History itself, however, is not controlled by a vast timeless conspiracy. The powerful people and groups in society are hardly a "secret team" or a tiny club of "secret elites." The tendency to explain all major world events as primarily the product of a secret conspiracy is called conspiracism. The antidote to conspiracism is Power Structure Research based on some form of institutional, systemic or structural analysis that examines race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, class and other factors that are used to create inequality and oppression. Political Research Associates does not criticize conspiracism because we want to shield those with unfair power and privilege; but because we believe that conspiracism impedes attempts to build a social movement for real social justice, economic fairness, equality, peace, and democracy.

There are many unanswered questions about the attacks on 09/11/01, the obvious failures of existing security systems, the decisions regarding the assessment of terrorist threats; the wisdom, morality, and legality under international law of the unilateral attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq; the implementation of repressive domestic measures such as the Patriot Act and the confinement of immigrants and undocumented visitors without due process; and the reluctance and refusal of key government officials to fully cooperate with congressional and media investigations. Political Research Associates fully supports the vigorous investigation of these matters.

http://www.publiceye.org/conspire/Post911/dubious_claims.html