[lbo-talk] Re: Rise of anti-democratic liberalism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 18 17:19:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> Obviously one can be deluded or make mistakes on such matters. (I was just
> reading a column that observed, "Reagan had absolutely no moral sense
> about truth or falsity.")
>
> Those things are probably ordered by a universal grammar of human behavior
> -- like language, subject to quite remarkable regional variations (the
> province of literature). --CGE

This is an apt analogy, but not quite in the way you mean. Just as there is no way to decide which language system is "superior" to another in any universal sense, there is no universally agreed upon hierarchy of morals. Language is used in specific ways, and so that language becomes a part of a way of life; and just so with moral beliefs.

Miles