[lbo-talk] Gender, Performance, Performativity (Rise of anti-democratic liberalism)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 19 13:59:08 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: Rise of anti-democratic liberalism
>Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
>Sat Jun 19 12:33:11 PDT 2004
>
>Ian asked:
>
>>Why should "structuralism" need an ethical doctrine at all?
>
>By "ethical doctrine" I meant only the ethical conclusions deducible
>from a given set of ontological premises, i.e. moral relativism is
>an "ethical doctrine" in this sense.
>
>The conclusion that I ought to choose to be tolerant or that I ought
>not to choose to be cruel can't be consistently deduced from
>ontological premises that have no logical space for either choice or
>ethical criteria on which to base choice.
>
>Butler's idea of "performativity," for instance, has no logical
>space for the idea of a "will proper." It "contests the very notion
>of the subject": "There is no 'I' that can stand apart from the
>prevailing moral matrix."
>
>>It is important to distinguish performance from performativity: the
>>former presumes a subject, but the latter contests the very notion
>>of the subject. The place where I try to clarify this is toward the
>>beginning of my essay "Critically Queer", in Bodies that Matter, I
>>begin with the Foucauldian premise that power works in part through
>>discourse and it works in part to produce and destabilise subjects.
>>But then, when one starts to think carefully about how discourse
>>might be said to produce a subject, it's clear that one's already
>>talking about a certain figure or trope of production. It is at
>>this point that it's useful to turn to the notion of
>>performativity, and performative speech acts in particular -
>>understood as those speech acts that bring into being that which
>>they name. This is the moment in which discourse becomes productive
>>in a fairly specific way. So what I'm trying to do is think about
>>the performativity as that aspect of discourse that has the
>>capacity to produce what it names. Then I take a further step,
>>through the Derridean rewriting of Austin, and suggest that this
>>production actually always happens through a certain kind of
>>repetition and recitation. So if you want the ontology of this, I
>>guess performativity is the vehicle through which ontological
>>effects are established. Performativity is the discursive mode by
>>which ontological effects are installed. Something like that.
>><http://www.theory.org.uk/but-int1.htm>
>
>But she makes ethical claims that contradict this idea.
>
>>Judith Butler GRD '84, a well-known theorist of power, gender and
>>identity, spoke in front of an audience of about 150 at the Whitney
>>Humanities Center Monday about her recent philosophical research on
>>ethical violence and theories of individual moral and ethical
>>responsibility.
>>
>>Butler touched on the inherent tensions between morality and social
>>situations.
>>
>>She talked about the notion of subject formation -- how individuals
>>form themselves in relation to certain social norms -- mentioning
> [...]

Since Judith Butler originally developed her thoughts on performance and performativity by thinking about gender, it may be easier to clarify them if we use examples about gender.

An example of what Butler calls performativity is that we have no choice but to perform _a_ gender in the world we live in, regardless of what we think about the morality of performing one and of dividing human beings into genders to begin with (even though human beings in the unforeseeable future may come to live in a world that does not divide them into genders).

Examples of what Butler calls performance may be that a person can adjust how he or she performs his or her gender (e.g., choosing to wear or not to wear makeup, consciously or unconsciously); that a person can switch from performing one gender to another (e.g., from performing man to performing woman, as a matter of choice or as the situation demands it); that a group of persons can change the social norms and symbolic meanings about each gender and relations between them; and that a group of persons can invent a new gender (e.g., the new category called "transgendered").

Performativity is a matter of history, incomprehensible in the register of moral choices of individuals. Changing performance, in contrast, is possible through collective political organizing; and it is even feasible to adjust performance through individual choices (moral or aesthetic) to a limited extent. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>