[lbo-talk] Re: Is Berlet Combat Ready?

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sat Jun 19 16:42:47 PDT 2004

I think that opaqueness is a fine art within this domain. And no, I don't work at it. It just seems that sometimes I can say a couple of different things with one grammatical construction and it amuses me. In this instance I referred to your 'paranoid conspiracists' as skeptics and you had placed them on the 'right'. Giving the equivalency with 'true believer' to the left was a little dig at your assigning sides.

I noticed later that you too used skeptic in your reply to JW and assigned it to the other 'side' - the conspiracy skeptics.

But to be more clear, I don't see much distinction between saying that paranoid conspiracists belong on the 'right' and suggesting that someone is an agent-provacateur - a practice that I thought you discouraged on the list. And the thing about whose 'side' someone is on has bothered me. Sides imply division that we don't need. (Re Carrols recent reply on this topic)

On the other hand I like that you police this list where you see the necessity.

Martin