[lbo-talk] AP: Kerry Vacations With Wealthy in Nantucket

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 21 07:59:06 PDT 2004

Ah, times change...

<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/18/politics/main607234.shtml>

"The Clintons turned vacations into a political exercise; let's poll and see where people think we should go," presidential historian Stephen Hess said.

The politics of presidential vacations was certainly taken to new heights when Dick Morris took a poll for Bill Clinton. The Clinton chief political adviser actually asked Americans where the president should rest up.

It revealed the obvious (as most polls do): that Americans would see another Clinton trip to Martha's Vineyard as too elitist. Instead, the First Family went to Jackson Hole, Wyo., where the president was photographed riding a horse and wearing a blue denim shirt, with a tan cowboy hat fitted squarely on his head, looking more Teddy Roosevelt than Franklin.

"The Clintons were in a unique position that few of our president's have been in. They weren't rich, they had to rely on the goodwill of strangers for their vacations," Hess continued. "While the Bushes and Heinz-Kerrys know exactly where to go on vacation."