[lbo-talk] Re:control room - al-jazeera film

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Mon Jun 21 13:38:33 PDT 2004

also found it embarrassing, re american press corps being even dumber than i thought...but was surprised that the cnn guy - forgot his name - came off as thoughtful, even mildly critical, and at least one american reporter- female - was aghast at the particular stupidity of not revealing the names of alleged iraqi menaces on the famous deck of cards...as for this (doug):

"And what was with the AJ guy who said he'd accept a job offer from Fox?"

i thought he was being funny, double edged..sort of, if they were together enough to hire me, i'd go, but it's hardly likely... but he had expressed admiration for america, wanting his kids to go to school here...and why not? this is the center of the empire, with the best of everything, etc.

and most of the al-jazeera folks on camera were not only excellent english speakers, but extremely european in their world view, with an arab tip, it seemed...90 minutes of an arab perspective, and israel-palestine only mentioned twice, maybe three times, and with no probing beyond brief mention...hmmm?

but a great job, and a film which should be seen, even by people who think they know what shit we are handed by our media...

fs