[lbo-talk] Re: Study: Many Brits think Palestinians occupy Israeli territory

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 04:28:18 PDT 2004

I found details of the study here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/sociology/Israel.htm

I was surprised to what extent people who watch television news are ignorant of the contexts of the conflict. I had honestly believed that viewers would 'pick up' information, but this is clearly not the case and, it seems, such contexts are not given.

So, yes, people do need to work harder if they want to be informed about the world. But, if they are unwilling, television needs to work harder to reach them.

Finally, I don't think I overstate racism as a cause. The report investigates whether journalists have a duty to try to overturn these narrow cultural assumptions:

"The journalists and researchers also looked at issues of cultural difference - They asked viewers if they 'saw' conflicts in terms of who they identified with? Do we sympathise immediately with people who look and sound like us and reject the views of people who look 'strange'? The research showed that our perceptions of others are affected by such factors but the journalists wanted to know what they should do about it. Should they intervene to help audiences ‘see through’ cultural difference by appealing to more universal values, e.g. concern for human suffering or loss – and should this be done in the name of balance? This is explored in a number of fascinating exchanges between journalists." <http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/sociology/Exert%207.pdf>

I would very much like to see a similar study for the US.

Simon