[lbo-talk] The Politics of Conspiracy Theory

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 22 11:12:35 PDT 2004

>It's become knee jerk. Also, it's selective and
>inconsistent, in the sense, that nobody bats an eyelash when somebody
>asserts that, say 9/11, was a conspiracy by Al Q. For some reason, saying
>that is not conspiracy theorism. But if there is any discussion of U.S.
>government machinations, many people here feel compelled to point out that
>it's conspiracy theorism ohhhhh bad.

Sigh, I tried to stay out of this, even after being told offlist I was a nitwit for going down the wrong 'rabbit hole', jesus, sounds just like Dubya 'smoking out' gophers, err, terrorists.

The knee jerk reaction is this; a theory of events that says that Bush and Co. took advantage of the carnage from something they badly fucked up (preventing 9/11) to advance their domestic political, security, foreign policy and economic agendas (like eventually invading Iraq) is a lot more consistent with subsequent facts and events (and preceding facts and events actually), than does a theory that is built on innuendo, coincidence and cartoonish assumptions about how capitalist society works.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no doubt these guys wanted to invade Iraq and built an astounding number of bullshit rationalizations ranging from WMD, middle east democracy, achieving Palestinian statehood to revenge for SH trying to whack Dimbulbs daddy to accomplish just that. But that’s not the same thing as saying they were hoping to achieve this by ‘allowing’, ‘encouraging’ or ‘planning’ 9/11.

Do a reality check on two things; 1) if the MO here was invading Iraq why waste billions on Afghanistan first, don’t you think there would have been more conclusive evidence that 9/11 had an Iraq connection, like say having 14 out of 19 hijackers come from Iraq rather than a nominal ally? 2) if the MO was invading Iraq don’t you think they would have done a better job, this occupation bears all the hallmarks of a poorly planned, politically driven military adventure.

You want knee jerk, here’s knee jerk; if these guys put together a conspiracy that killed 3000 people on American soil they’d do a better job at invading and occupying Iraq, their nominal objective.

When you get something a little more substantive to support your theories let us know, meanwhile go back to the X-Files.

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon