[lbo-talk] more election news from italia

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Jun 22 18:50:22 PDT 2004

the latest election idiocy from Berlusconi. the man is almost as dim witted as shrub. at least shrub has "advisors" with experience in lying, cheating, stealing, and a wide variety of misc cruelties. berlusconi prefers to be surrounded by flattering sycophants who are generally inefficient.

berlusconi loves speaking before crowds of supporters the way shrub loves speaking before the military.

This one is just too much. (Remember we have run offs Saturday and Sunday). Yesterday at a rally of supporters, Berlusconi accused the opposition of vote fraud! He actually said "It is disreputable that such a thing should happen at election sites, where ballots in our favor are cancelled and attributed to 'them.'" It seems this was carried out [according to berlusconi] by a carefully instructed "army of professionals belonging to the center-left to the damage of our amateurs, who were completely conned like dimwits."

Some considerations:

1) It's either a very grave case of slander, or the right are a bunch of simpleminded dimwits.

[we all know both apply to the right around the world -- R]

2) Italian ballots are written with a special pencil which cannot be erased, so changing the vote on a ballot is literally impossible. The most that ever could be done would be to annul votes, never to change them.

3) If such a thing truly did happen, this criminal fraud should have been reported, stopped and punished immediately by his [berlusconi's] government, not babbled about 10 days later because he doesn't know whom to blame for his party's loss of 4 million votes (which were more or less redistributed amongst the other right wing parties because of him).

4) Generally the people in a position of power [berlusconi's party] who run and organize the electoral campaign, elections and election results are the ones accused of vote fraud, not the opposition.

You can be sure all hell broke loose in the Parliament today! It's too complicated to explain what everyone said, but you can imagine. The Vice Prime Minister [berlusconi's party] refused to comment, even; and of course the left is demanding that our Internal Minister (police, secret service, etc.) come to [testify] in the House and Senate. Old Bear Loose [berlusconi] is always putting his paw in his mouth and then saying that the subversive press purposefully misinterpreted his words. Well, the audio is in internet for all to hear, and it's very difficult to misinterpret, believe me!