[lbo-talk] Re: Kansas as angst indicator

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 23 07:12:19 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Jon writes:

> Could part of the answer be that, these days, radicals
are not giving Americans any clear ideas about how to advance their "real material concerns" outside the capitalist system?

It is also because most Americans see the gratification of their pleasures as their primary "real material concern."

Part of the problem is that nobody likes to hear that their pursuit of pleasure is something that chains them rather than freeing them.

> More and more, it seems to me, radicals are focusing on
the social issues, too, to the neglect of radical economic ideas.

Well, if social issues can be ameliorated, then maybe a sizeable group of Americans will emerge who can then work in unison on economic issues. Victories in these areas give hope that change can be effected.

Also, many radicals say that solving the economic issues will solve the social issues, but their proof is often dense and difficult to comprehend. After people have a few tangible victories that they can savor, they might be more willing to devote themselves to an effort that may not bear fruit in this lifetime. Much depends on how deeply they have bought into the pleasure system.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister