[lbo-talk] GDP per capita/Dougs comments

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Wed Jun 23 09:37:58 PDT 2004

Doug writes:
>[The report from the Swedish think tank that had European living standards
>around those of the Mississipi delta got me crunching some numbers. Here
>are the per capita GDP figures for 2002 expressed as a percentage of the
>U.S. level, based on World Bank data. GDP is figured using purchasing
>power parity - i.e., an exchange rate designed to measure real buying
>power, with the distortions of market exchange rates stripped away. There
>are some problems with PPP, practical and conceptual, but it's the best
>we've got.]

I worry that this understates the problem. On many of the key international questions, using PPP *reverses* what people would otherwise - and more fairly - assume are "the facts". This reversal is arbitrary and not justified. PPP numbers are presented as statistics, but they are in fact a knowingly biased recalculation of "real" statistics portraying an imaginary world that does not (and can not) exist. Paul