[lbo-talk] GDP per capita/Dougs comments

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 23 11:46:09 PDT 2004

Doug:
> I think that's overstating the case. Most people know that an $18,000
> income in rural Mississippi would buy you a very different standard
> of living from $18,000 in Queens. A PPP exercise is an attempt to
> model that intuition more rigorously - without, of course, running
> into the complexities of exchange rates. But doing international
> comparisons does run into the exchange rate problem. $18,000 = EUR
> 21,780 at yesterday's close, but what kind of life would those
> market-identical amounts buy you in, say, Amsterdam vs. Chicago? A
> normal person (i.e., a noneconomist) considering the question might
> ask, "Well what's rent? Food? Gas?" And PPP programs try to answer
> that. There are lots of problems - defining market baskets, defining
> comparable products, valuing social services. But I don't think it's
> fatally flawed from the outset.

I think the problem with the ppp is that it tries to account for the fact that in certain economies non-market transactions constitute a significant part of the economy - not captured by the GDP statistics (otherwise, exchange rate would suffice for comparative purposes). That may include barter, women's work, neighbours helping each other, etc., which in the national accounts lingo are "outside the boundaries of production." That is, btw, a big point often raised by feminists (the non-pomo variety) - that women's house work does not count in national economic stats. So the problem is a certain double standard - non-market contributions do not count for some purposes (e.g. to measure the contribution of women's work) but are introduced through the back door (ppp) to defend a different ideological claim that poor countries are not as poor as they seem.

Wojtek