[lbo-talk] GDP per capita/Dougs comments

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jun 23 12:58:15 PDT 2004

Exchange-rate based comparisons are totally meaningless, as anyone can tell by simply considering the change in US per capita magnitudes, expressed in euros, between November 2000 and May 2004. PPP comparisons are conceptually *identical* to single-economy real-terms comparisons over time, including the discrepancy between magnitudes deflated by "Paasche" and "Lespeyres" based price indices. When I took over editing the economic section of an encyclopedia I found that for every country in the world national income figures were in the form of "X's GDP in year Y was Z US dollars." I switched to PPP comparisons and the form became "X's GDP in year Y was (approximately)(roughly)(very roughly) equivalent to Z US dollars."

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)