[lbo-talk] Don't Mess With Mom

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 14:20:23 PDT 2004

> What a factually challenged person to not understand
> why children have
> rights and how those rights have been codified into
> international law.

Right, but that's not the first line of protection. The law is an incredibly blunt instrument in family affairs.

> If you are a young person, parents can be more
> repressive and dangerous
> than any boss.

I dunno, Chucko, sometimes you take this anarchist attitude a bit far. There are Bad Moms and Dads. But I wouldn't presume that repression, exploitation and cruelty are the normal defining characteristics of the parent-child relations. Nothing in the relationship, unlike the boss-worker relationship, or even the male-female in a sexist society, is inherently oppressive. -- my teenage daughter's views notwithstanding. Though I don't know of research on the subject, I would guess that most parents have kids because they love them and want them and want the best for them. Though of course some people are better parents than others, and some kids are easier to deal with than others.

> Parents need to get over their power trip and start
> treating young
> people with respect and as human beings.

But this doesn't mean treating them like little adults. They are children,immature, incapable of making sensible decisions most of the time on lots of things that matter.

jks