[lbo-talk] GDP per capita/Dougs comments

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 07:57:19 PDT 2004

Ah, that makes sense. Most Russians (except in Moscow) are relatively poor, but they're not at _that_ level. It's the old people who really have it rough. You have them skewing the stats downward. Actually I think a lot of Russians like to complain about being poor more than they actually _are_ poor, because they are using as a criterion of "normal income" an imaginary Western norm that they get from Hollywood movies. They think people in the West, which is their standard for comparison, are richer than they actually are, so they exaggerate their own lack of income.

I mean, half of urban dwellers in Russia have a home in the country...

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Pensions are part of national income, so it'd include them.

Remember, these numbers are based not on household surveys but on the national income accounts. The more "developed" a country, the lower the ratio of household income to per capita GDP (because investment, which figures in GDP but not HHI, is higher).