[lbo-talk] Benny Morris: "It was necessary to uproot them"

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 08:21:48 PDT 2004

>http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/courses01/rrtw/Shapira.htm

Review of Morris and Shlaim. Contains this from Engels>...History is perhaps the cruelest goddess of all, and she drives her victorious chariot upon heaps and heaps of bodies, not just in time of war, but also during peaceful economic development. And alas, we men and women are such fools that we never dare to venture out for any real progress unless impelled to do so as a result of boundless suffering.

Karsh cited by Pappe has written, "Fabricating Israeli History: The "New Historians." http://www.meforum.org/article/207 cites Joel Beinin review. Joel Beinin, review of Fabricating Israeli History: The "New Historians," in Middle East Journal, Summer 1998. Beinin, among other works, has a history of Arab Communist parties from U.C. Press well worth a look. Beinin is one of the better neo-marxists writting on Palestine.

Shlaim on Karsh, http://www.meforum.org/article/92

Karsh on Morris and Pappe. Historical Fictions - Middle East Quarterly - September 1996 ... in their endeavor to rewrite Israeli history in an image of their own devising. The replies by Benny Morris, Ilan Pappé, and Avi Shlaim to my article fully vindicate this thesis. Benny Morris For years, Benny Morris has had it easy. By inundating his readers with primary ... http://www.meforum.org/article/93

Michael Pugliese