[lbo-talk] GDP per capita/Dougs comments

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Jun 24 10:15:54 PDT 2004

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> uvj at vsnl.com wrote:
>
>> One can buy a loaf of good quality bread in my city (Pop. 15 mn) for
>> 20 cents. (Things cost much less small towns and villages.) How much
>> it would cost in NY?
>
> Maybe ten times that.
>
> By the way, the WB has Indian incomes at 1.5% of U.S. on a cash basis,
> and 7.5% on a PPP basis.

btw, in my experience, small town america can cost as much as or more than the big city for such things. housing tends to be cheaper, but commodity goods like this can be significantly more expensive. the chamber of commerce in my small-town ohio hometown (high school graduating class at the time of 167) used to complain about everyone driving to columbus to shop, and we said, hey, there's a bigger selection and it costs less. what do you want from us?

i currently live most of the year in a thoroughly rural town (there are 1000 or so people when the students are there, and there are some 800 students), and food shopping is slim pickings and expensive, unless you're buying wonder bread, and even then . . .