[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Liberalism with a Fascist Face

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 11:26:50 PDT 2004

brian wrote:

>Jimi wrote:
>> when not shilling for EVERY damned inch of
self->>important, underwhelming celluloid shot by his idols >>(speilberg, depalma, alan freaking rudolph,
>>for goodness' sake)

>Hey -- you can knock Spielberg and Rudolph, butDe
>Palma is cool.

i would use the past tense in re: depalma/cool -- he's a long way away from "hi, mom!" and "phantom of paradise_...

>Who else makes a movie about a lesbian
>thief and doesn't punish her at the end or pair her
>off with the male hero?

the wachowskis with _bound_, gregg araki with _totally f***ed up_...not that i'm suggesting a trend, you understand. and wasn't rebecca romijn about the most lipsticked of lesbians ever? not that i'm suggesting any level of expertise on my part in this wise. but, come on now -- one pro-lesbian noir doesn't change a couple of decades-worth of overwrought, undercooked cinema.

>>while this can provide a warm sense of
>>shared shadenfreude when he tears into someone
>>asking for it -- lars von trier, say

>The reason he doesn't like Von Trier is that Von
>Trier won't sugarcoat his vision like
>Spielberg/Rudolph. White wants uplift -- Capra for
>the 21st century, not Von Trier's gloomy realism.

personally, i'll settle for art. i'll allow that von trier's capacity to allow innocent women to be abused sexually and psychologically is gloomy, but realism? you mean, like hand-held video musicals starring bjork and catherine deneuve as washington-state working stiffs? that doesn't even rise to the level of a joke.

i guess _dogville_'s throwing over of the trademark redemptive themes he shoehorns into his dogme-tic mise-en-rapes is something of an, uh, advance...white may be many things, but a complete fool isn't one of them, and he's got von trier's number. i believe it's a number less than one...

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance