Nader Goes Buchananite (Re: [lbo-talk] Vote Nader/Camejo 2004!

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Thu Jun 24 13:22:49 PDT 2004

I do not think "the left" screwed up at all. And your story contains and some revisionist fiction. The "single payer" people who had power (single payer supporters in Congress--mostly Democrats) did support some compromise measures (expanding Medicadid for the uninisured) that WOULD have passed with Clinton's support(as I have said many times on this list). You are right that Chaffee's proposal would have passed as well and that the single-payer bloc was against it; but why should that matter when they had a majority supporting Medicaid expansion. Clinton could have easily gotten the single payer support but chose not to.

I generally agree that "moving the ball forward" is a good thing but promising "access" to healthcare and driving up costs on ordinary Americans is not moving anyone forward and not the ball either. If anything, it is kicking the ball over to the brightly lit "astroturf" field of the Republicans where the rich and healthy play and everyone else can enjoy watching and hoping some day to get on the field (if they can live that long).

Jim