[lbo-talk] Zizek on Abu Ghraib

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:54:50 PDT 2004

>From: "Grant Lee" <grantlee at iinet.net.au>
>
>Between Two Deaths: The Culture of Torture
>Slavoj Zizek
>
>* * * *
>
>... When I first saw the notorious photograph of a
>prisoner wearing a black hood, electric wires attached to his limbs as he
>stood on a box in a ridiculous theatrical pose, my reaction was that this
>must be a piece of performance art... Anyone acquainted with the US way
>of life will have recognised in the photographs the obscene underside of US
>popular culture. You can find similar photographs in the US press whenever
>an initiation rite goes wrong in an army unit or on a high school campus

Hmm, maybe Zizek has a bolder selection of tabloids at his supermaket checkout than I do at mine, but I have never seen any photo in the US press concerning "an initiation rite [that] goes wrong in an army unit or on a high school campus" that approximates the Abu Ghraib pix.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 3 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/